About Me

My photo
I like food, walks, cuddles, more food, the seaside, other dogs, food, my frisbee and destroying things. Most of all I love My People and lots of lovely attention. Some say I'm spoiled. I say I get treated as I should be ;) I'm a healthy happy eight year old. The only thing wrong with me (God willing) is epilepsy which costs my owners lots of money and means I have to eat yukky tablets but otherwise seems to bother them more than it bothers me because they remember my fits and I don't. Other than that, I'm a happy lad and I love my people and I'm lucky to live in a place where there are nice walks. I wouldn't want to live in a town.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

A Birdy Tale


What a beautiful day! We walked with Geri again today but Ben has gone home for the weekend. We walked for miles but it's really dry over the fields and we always walk further when it's dry. I was a really brave boy today because we heard some big bangs and I didn't run back to Mummy or anything. She thinks I'm feeling safer because she's been all firm with me for the last few days - I haven't really thought it through, I just wasn't that scared today and some days I really freak out.

That's what happened the day with the birds. We were over the pit and I was having a paddle and the two swans were motoring across the water towards me so Mummy was calling me to come out. Suddenly, BOOM!, the birdscarer went off and I was really scared. I had been going to be a good boy and come out, really I was, I was on the very edge of the water, but when it went bang I just turned round and ran back into the water. It just felt safer in there so I wouldn't move. Poor Mummy was panicking and calling me in a really nice voice and then in a cross voice and I knew I should go to her but I couldn't move. The swans were swimming towards me and poor Mummy was going bright red and for a minute I thought she would wade in but then she just stopped and her mouth dropped open. The swans and some moorhens and coots and loads of ducks had all swum over to me and they surrounded me and just floated there. None of them tried to peck me or anything! They all sat there quietly and calmly and looked after me until I felt better. Mummy said she wished she had a camera as it was the weirdest thing she had ever seen. After a while, she called me again and I went to her and asked to go on the lead. Ever since then, the swans let me in the water and don't hiss at me. I guess we're friends now...

Anyway, today I was a brave boy and also very good because I only said a little bad word to a new Westie I met and didn't growl at all at the Springer Spaniel with the shooting men. Ok, I did say something rude to another Springer Spaniel with the arrogant Scottish twerp (that's what Mummy calls him) but hey, that little git (the dog, not the man. Mummy says he is a big git!!!) tried to pick a fight with me a while ago so I've got a problem with him, alright? I mean, he was heading for my back end, you know what I mean? I am an Essex bloke, after all...there are limits....

Good news. Mummy and Geri were talking about me and the dog I learned to growl from. Geri said Mummy had been blaming the other dog, but really it was that she hadn't told me what is expected of me so I have been taking my cues from her instead of from Mummy. Geri says I have been reminded of what's expected of me now.

I have a friend called Emily. She used to be my girlfriend but I don't think she wants to be any more. Mummy had said that because me and her play so roughly, maybe I shouldn't see her any more, but Geri says it is up to Mummy to teach me to stop being so silly and to not growl if she says I mustn't. I hear what Mummy's saying but it's easier said than done because both me and Emily like that game. I growl and Em does this snappy thing where she clacks her jaws and looks like she'll bite, but Mummy says that when I try to play with other dogs like that they don't like it. She says it has to stop or we'll get a bad name and anyway, it's not nice to frighten other dogs, it's nicer to get on with them and also, she says, it's embarrassing. All told I have to play nicely or not at all.

Booooooooooo.

But also hooray cos I can see Em after all. Well, after Mummy has talked to Auntie cos they decide these things together but I expect she'll agree. I'll let you know. Auntie is out doing the final arrangements for her best friend's Hen Night tonight so they'll talk about it later.

Crazy humans, they're trying to be hens now...

I hope you like today's pics. There is one of me over the fields and one at the pit with my birdy friends.

speak to you another day

all the best

Bruce xxx

No comments: